Saturday, September 17, 2016

TRAPPED IN HELL

Gruesome- "Savage Land" LP (Relapse) 
Second Pressing, 2015
Red Vinyl /500

Pure early Death worship in the form of Gruesome's debut LP, "Savage Land". This band is comprised of various veterans of the US Death Metal scene, and they really managed to garner quite a bit of attention when they surfaced with this album last year. Initial impressions came across very strong to me, with a solid recording and very on point Chuck Schuldiner impersonation from the lead singer, and while it is very listenable, my attention hasn't really held strong since I first secured this record. Not really sure why (I love Death, who's doesn't?),  the songs are strong, but for whatever reason, I am just not as into it as I feel that I should be. With that said, I do believe that it's worth owning a copy of just for the fantastic Ed Repka artwork alone.

No comments: