Wednesday, July 16, 2014

FEEDING TIME

Perspex Flesh- s/t LP (Static Shock)
First Press, 2014
White Vinyl /100

The behemoth that is current UK hardcore punk continues it's immeasurable rampage with this debut full length from Leeds' Perspex Flesh. This is a band that I've made glowing statements about in the past on this blog and their previous EP was arguably one of my favourite records of last year. I still spin it very regularly. Brooding, alien, interloper hardcore that would claim stark heredity to bands like United Mutation, Void and similar early 80's groups is what you get, and throughout the bands lifespan they've always managed to capture a really on-point, gritty feel in each of their releases.
Various solid sources around the place have been making early claims about how this will be the UK LP of the year etc, and I hoped -even assumed- that I would really enjoy this album. And for the most part this is a very strong example in the bands chosen style, but maybe I have just become too comfortable with the previous 7", as I have had definite trouble getting into this recording as much as previous material. The sound here is essentially the exact same in terms of grit as older stuff and there are some great songs, but it just hasn't grabbed me as much as I thought that it would. I suspect part of the problem would be that with various life commitments, and other punk and metal releases that have surfaced in the last six months, I just haven't had much time this year to really focus a heap of attention on this LP, so I'm kind of hoping that I'll finally 'get it' with more time. Things like that have certainly happened in the past.
Regardless, this will certainly make my year end list.

No comments: