Saturday, December 28, 2013

CURTAINS

I knew nothing about this new "Live on KXLU 1992" 7" release from No Comment until RevHQ put it up in their store. Admittedly it seems that Deep 6 (responsible party) emails have been going direct to my junk folder now for the better part of six months without my knowledge, and we all know that Bob and co don't really succumb to the arm pit that is social media, so that may have something to do with it.
I doubt that this thing would have much appeal to anyone outside of the fan base of the late 80's/early 90's Californian PV scene. Live recordings have never been a massive crutch of mine, and the thick layer of hiss that permeates the entirety of this recording here does nothing to alter that opinion. You can't ignore it. The fact that it's literally an exact live remake of the "Downsided" 7" may have something to do with it also. No real variance in energy, mania or aggression from that iconic 7", though I suspect this may entertain potential fans that for some far fetched reason haven't heard it. The sleeve doubles as a big fold out two sided poster though, featuring plenty of obligatory live shots and show fliers. For fan boys like me this is an essential addition, but I suspect that that's all it may be.

No comments: