Saturday, May 18, 2013

ENTERRADAS EN EL JARDIN

I like to think that I'm somewhat switched on when it comes to good music. There are times though  when I don't register any interest with bands until a bigger record label takes notice. Generally I find it only happens with metal bands. Japan's Coffins are one of these examples with their recent evolvement with Relapse Records, as are Entrails from Sweden with their new LP on Metal Blade. Machetazo from Spain are another. Now here is a band that I have known about for many years. Their history within destructive death/gore grind is lengthy and revered by many people and heaps of the bands that I listen to rate them as heavily influence. Yet I've never really bothered checking them out. It even goes as far as a friend of mine sending me an earlier EP of theirs years ago, only for me to spin it once and pass it off. I don't think I even bothered blogging about it as a result (I may need to rectify that soon).
Within the last few weeks Doomentia Records, a label that I'm obviously rather fond of has released Machetazo's new album "Ruin". It's taken me a single clip from that LP on the labels bandcamp to actually generate enough interest to bother diving into the bands discography and give it a thorough inspection. It's lengthy at best, and I'd hardly argue that I'm even a third of the way through it yet, but the handful of earlier LP's that the band would be responsible for have grabbed my interest, most importantly this one, their second album from 2002, "Trono De Huesos" (translated "Throne Of Bones"). Originally released by Throne Records in 2002, this copy that I'm blogging about today is a reissue committed by Doomentia last year. Top shelf quality presentation from Doomentia as always, check out the HIGH gloss sleeve.
If the one aforementioned clip from the bands new album is anything to go by, the band are still certainly progressing further along the heavy doom path that they've been nudging at gradually over the years. Their earlier stuff though possesses a pretty stark purist grindcore feel to it, most evident in their early demos and first two albums. The LP before this one "Carne De Cementerio" from 2000 is the best example of this, but the recording is quite minimalist and as a result I can't get into it a huge amount. With this album, the recording is vastly improved while still holding the level of roughness that I enjoy in proper grindcore. The 14 tracks presented here run in at a little over half an hour, and the entirety of them are purely acidic, head splitting, grind assaults, bar the Motörhead and Carnage covers (both of which they do a great job with). I'll be posting about the new album in the next few weeks hopefully.

No comments: