Friday, May 31, 2013

BACK OF MY HAND

More Violent Arrest stuff, this time their 2011 LP, "Tooth And Nail". Again, no excuse why I've ignored this band for as long as I have. Somehow they just managed to get lost amongst the hundreds of groups that I've been jamming over the last 12 months I guess. This record was a joint pressing between Boss Tuneage, Farewell Records and Tadpole Records. 500 copies on black vinyl.
Though this was the first VA stuff that I heard, I'm not as into this record quite as much as last night's post subject. Musically it runs a relatively similar course to that of their debut album; fast, three chord hardcore, but the recording is just a little too refined and hence looses a good chunk of the raw power that was so prominent on that LP. The band also manage to slow the manic tempo down a bit a couple of times here. The songs in question are fun and really hooky, but I've found with this band that they excite me the most when they're going at a million miles an hour. This album is still very fucking good though, just not quite as strong as earlier music of theirs.

No comments: