Saturday, September 15, 2012

CAN'T BULLSHIT A BULLSHITTER

A recent pick up at a distro at a local show, this Much Worse EP, "Absolute Nightmare" wasn't a record that I was actually on the prowl for. I'd heard the name knocking about in various circles here and there but I hadn't really thought hard enough to bother chasing it down (much the same could be said for a handful of bands at the moment, just don't have the time to check out every single thing that I probably should). Glad I decided to pick this up. Based off the cover art alone, you couldn't be blamed for assuming this was some kind of new Youth Attack release, and to be honest, with the sound that these guys have captured with this EP, it would certainly slot in pretty easily with that label, but no, this comes about thanks to the ever consistent No Way! Records. Black wax. The basic wrap that these guys seem to get is of the Japanese hardcore variety, and I hear them biting that style a little here, but it certainly isn't an overwhelmingly obvious approach, and I'd much sooner compare this to some early 80's outsider USHC band before anything like Deathside or Bastard. As I've said before, I'm no Japcore purist though and maybe I'm missing something?

No comments: