Friday, February 10, 2012

necessary death

I've never had much of a chance to post about Insect Warfare on here as I bought the bulk of my IW records back before I really started using this blog to rant about wax. I wouldn't say that I am the most fanatic of grindcore nerds, but these guys easily sit in my top 5 favourite bands of the last 6 or 7 years. A couple of post humous EP's aside, this long player of theirs, "World Extermination", marked the last of their releases and I'd argue that it was the one that really broke them to the wider community. This version on magenta styled vinyl is from the original pressing by 625 Thrash and RSR, but the later reissue on Earache Records really made a lot of people take notice. And for good reason. A total grindcore classic, I can listen to this thing from beginning to end, all 20 tracks multiple times in one sitting.

These guys just always seemed to have a knack at balancing out the ruthless grind with the metallic riffery. The production is just that spot on also, and works a treat at making all the elements stand out perfectly. Rahi is easily the best vocalist of the genre, and Beau would certainly be at the top of the pile when it comes to writing smart, interesting, no bullshit grind. One thing I've always liked about these guys is that they never tried to experiment with anything stupid. They never used dumb samples, never included silly leads or experimental fret work, never wrote drawn out songs. They had a formula and always stuck to it. One of the best bands of the last decade. I'm just bummed that I never had the chance to see them live.

Looks can be decieving. Here's the actual colour.

Poster included.

1 comment:

VII said...

A classic indeed. I've been wanting this record on wax for a long long time. I've had the CD for about 3 years now.