Monday, August 22, 2011

too much unity

In recent times I have realised how little modern kind of more 'straight up' hardcore I listen to. Put it down to the fact that there just aren't that many good bands doing the style justice, at all. Of the current crop, by far for me, Waste Management do it the best. I think there would be quite a few people that would argue that fact in favour of either The Omegas or Boston Strangler, but to me, if you're talking about a perfect rendition of early 80's USHC, then these guys are the best bet, and this, their second EP, "Power Abuse" cements it totally. Another of the recent Painkiller Records batch, I actually managed to snag the limited blue vinyl this time, nice. Sweet cover by Kenny Fontaine, the bands drummer.
This was released as a tape last year, so the music has been floating around for a while now, but it's good to see it finally getting the vinyl treatment that it deserves. Obviously this format lends itself to a far superior sound quality, and there was a live set on the tape that you don't get here, but other than that, it's the same product.
I don't know, I don't really get the comparisons, but with this new music, alot of people have been likening these guys to certain Japanese hardcore bands of old. Granted I don't listen to alot of the stuff, but to me this just sounds like Boston '82. Attribute alot of that to Carm's vocal delivery of course, but it's got all of the hallmarks of what I talk about. Short songs built with simple chord progressions, alot of which are centered around breakdowns. Simple, nihilistic lyrics. Hollow snare drum sound etc. There are noticeable differences here though, mostly in the general pace of the thing. It's not quite as fast as the older material (though there are a few very fast "1-2-1-2" tracks), and the quick little snappy, Neg FX styled snare fills that were so predominant on the the last 7" are fewer in number. Really though, the differences aren't massive from before, and I struggle to understand the new comparison that this EP has brought the band. Who knows though, I may be way off?
Bottom line.

No comments: