Monday, November 29, 2010

Burn The Pharaoh

Got my preorder of thr new Taipan 7" "Ten Day Dawn" a few days ago, and I must say that it's pretty fucking good! Red vinyl of /50, there are 300 in total of this EP, the rest are on black. Six mental tracks from the Sydney daggers. I think that this is somewhat of a self release in the sense that the label that is responsible for this is run by one of the dudes in the band. Anyway, Disinfect Records is the name. The label also did the bands two previous cassettes.
It's really hard to make a good, accurate description of this band. One thing that's certain is that the meaty, metal end in their sound is very apparent. But it's not an average, run of the mill metallic hardcore approach at all. Plenty of tempo changes (without sounding at all PV), heaps of great blast beats (without sounding grind), heaps of mosh bits (without sounding wigga). It's a tricky one for me to describe well, you'll just have to hear it for yourself.
I think one thing that certainly makes this band stick out to an extent is the vocalists style. Just a dirty, down trodden sounding dude. Like someone has let loose a mental patient with a blow torch in the asylum. He grunts, he groans. He really sounds like he hates what he's doing.
Numbered 13 of 300.
There is alot going on with the layout and artwork with this 7" as I'm sure you can see with all of the photos. To be honest, I'm not a fan at all of it. It's way too cluttered and messy looking to me. I'm sure that it will appeal to alot of people, but I just can't dig it at all. I much preferred the bands first EP layout. I like things simple. It's a good thing that the music is top notch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember I first saw this band live...

I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Sean said...

first time i saw the i wasnt really impressed. same story with the demo. but the first 7" blew me way, and this new one is just as good, if not better.