Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Benchpress

Who knows, maybe I'll get kicked in the head for this upload, but somehow I doubt it. Benchpress were a band from the lower Gold Coast region that broke up around 18 months ago, maybe a little more. Chances are though, that if you're from Australia and have a clue you probably at least heard of this band at some point. Early Boston influences, with some more modern bouncier/cheesier bits every now and then, though most comparative I suppose to SS Decontrol or similar. For the most part, all of the material I've uploaded here shredded. They broke up after releasing two tapes, but they managed to record for a planned 7" that never actually saw the light of day. One track from said recording was mastered and committed to wax in the form of the now fabled "A.HC" compilation 7" released by the bands singer Cade Perrin and Josh from Hard Luck with their label No Policy. I'm assuming though that if you're reading this, you should at least know that. If not, that record is long gone now, but had a tone of great bands on it... Extortion, WMD, Insurgents, Masstrauma, Hard Luck doing an Abused cover, plus tones more. Wow. 
Live these guys were completely off the chart, pretty much in whole due to Cades on stage presence. You would never fuck with Cade... just a madman when playing live. An unstoppable force almost.
edit: So heres and email that I recently received from the lead singer of Benchpress, Cade Perrin, if you're confused, he's calling me 'Sharp End', the name of the zine that I used to do. Read on. Be siked on the state of music in this country. Yeah... great.
...
"Sharp End, i stumbled upon your post about about the press on your blog...so whats gonna happen is, your gonna print this email either with the post or in the comments, up to you. If it doesn't happen, your in a world of hurt.
*I Sharp End am a dick head because i was told when i was taped the 'unreleased 7" and demo tracks' not to pass them on or circulate them. I was given them in a moment of good spirit, or stupidity from the owner and here i am putting them on a blog, fuck i'm a herb.
*I Sharp End am a pussy, i have the email of a band member and i neglected to use it and ask to do this, instead i write crap about how i might be killed for doing it...
*I Sharp End, when Benchpress was around was into the likes of Bloodlined Calligraphy, Looking Forward, A Secret Death, GSLTW and many many many more bands that were leaked out of the colostomy bag of bad taste and mediocrity. I sure as shit never covered them in my zine...which is fine with the band i'm sure. I wasn't one of the 5 kids in Qld who gave a fuck. But now that i am a born-again hardcore god with a cut and paste zine and crappy power violence fetish i now cover them. I guess i'm confusing, one could say i pose?
*I Sharp End probably shouldn't be asking if people have a clue? Because there is conjecture as to if i have one myself. 

...
To be honest I do see his point here, but when I did post this upload, it really never occurred to me that he would really care this much. I mean who wouldn't want more people to hear their music? And it's not like every fucken idiot reads this blog, one would assume that people downloading the music, would be worthy of the listen. But anyway, sorry for stepping on your toes Cade Perrin...

1 comment:

X-X said...

feellikeamancore. I already have all this, so I hope you wind up dead for it. Mr P is probably sharpening his axe as I type this.